コミックを使った日本学教育 (Japanese Studies through manga)
- 21/01/2008 Presentation on the use of manga in Japanese Studies research and education. First presentation at Kansai University, Osaka, Japan. View on SlideShare
日本と欧米の二次創作物における物語形式の相違点 (Narrative differences between Japanese and Western fanwork)
- 04/07/2008 Second presentation at Kansai University, Osaka, Japan. View on SlideShare
コミック学における二次創作物の立場 -二次創作物に著作権が与える影響- (The place of derivative works within comics studies -the influence of copyright law on the divide between amateur and professional works-)
- 18/12/2009 Presentation at the Kyoto International Manga Museum for the conference 'Comics Worlds and the World of Comics'
, Kyoto, Japan. View on Prezi
The 'open work' as a framework for the interpretation of fan fiction
- 12/02/2010 Presentation at Umea University for the conference 'Textual Echoes: Fan Fiction and Sexualities'
, Umea, Sweden. View on Prezi
Translating the visual languages of Japanese-language and English-language fan comics -30/09/2010 Presentation at the conference 'Intercultural Crossovers, Transcultural Flows: Manga/Comics
', Cologne, Germany. View on Prezi
Articles in internationally reviewed scientific journals
Braet, W., Noppe, N., Wagemans, J., Op de Beeck, H.(2010). Increased Stroop interference with better second-language reading skill. Quarterly Journal of Experimental Psychology, In press.
Noppe, N. (2010). James loves Severus, but only in Japan. Harry Potter in Japanese and English-language fanwork. In: Oshima K., Yabuta Y. (Eds.), Japanese Studies between EU and Japan (pp. 119-140). Osaka: NPC Corporation.
Papers at international conferences and symposia, published in full in proceedings
Noppe, N. (2010). Dōshinji research as a site of opportunity for manga studies. In Berndt, J., Global Manga Studies: Vol. 1. Comics Worlds and the World of Comics: Towards Scholarship on a Global Scale. International Manga Museum, Kyoto, 18-20 December 2009.
Noppe, N. (2010). 日本と欧米の二次創作物における物語形式の相違点: 「ハリー・ポッター」を原作として書かれたファン小説と同 人誌を検討. In Yabuta, Y. (Ed.), Proceedings of the 1st KU/EU Workshops. KU Workshop. Kansai University, Japan, 4-6 July 2008.
Noppe, N.(2011). Book review: Boys' love manga: Essays on the sexual ambiguity and cross-cultural fandom of the genre, edited by Antonia Levi, Mark McHarry, and Dru Pagliassotti In: Transformative Works and Cultures, 6.
Journal issue co-edited
Image [&] Narrative, Vol. 12, No 1 (2011). The Visual Language of Manga. Guest editors: Hans Coppens, Nele Noppe
Manga translations (Japanese to Dutch)'Neon Genesis Evangelion'
(translator for volume 1-7, translation editor for volume 7-10)
'Battle Angel Alita'
'20th Century Boys'
'Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind'
Das Kapital (from 'Manga de Dokuha'
War and Peace (from 'Manga de Dokuha'
Das Kapital 2 (from 'Manga de Dokuha'
Les Misérables (from 'Manga de Dokuha'
Also, assorted translations of scholarly articles related to manga, for instance on cellphone manga
and on Barefoot Gen.
Manga en verder (Manga and beyond)
Workshops (in Dutch)
- 10/01/2008 Workshop on the way manga are used by their creators and readers. First workshop at Groenendaalcollege secondary school, Merksem, Belgium. Student work on wiki
Actieve fans in Japan: dojin-cultuur (Active fans in Japan: dojin culture)
- 29/04/2008 Presentation introducting Japanese fan manga (dojinshi) and the legal issues surrounding them, at Vrije Universiteit Brussels (VUB), Brussels, Belgium. View on SlideShare
Manga-japans (Manga Japanese)
- 08/05/2008 Workshop on using manga as a language learning medium for adults studying Japanese in evening school. Workshop at CVO Haageland evening school, Aarschot, Belgium
Kinderuniversiteit: Let's Manga! Japanse strips veroveren de wereld (Children's university: Let's Manga! Japanese comic books take over the world)
- 15/11/2008 Lecture on using manga to learn about other countries and practice reading and language skills, Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium. View on SlideShare
Manga and their fans
- 08/01/2009 Second workshop at Groenendaalcollege secondary school, Merksem, Belgium. Emphasis on fanwork in Japan and in the West. Report and student-made comics here
Manga and their fans 2
- 30/04/2009 Workshop at Maria-Boodschaplyceum secondary school, Brussels, Belgium. Emphasis on fanwork in Japan and in the West. Report and student-made comics here
Manga and their fans 3
- 07/01/2010 Third workshop at Groenendaalcollege secondary school, Merksem, Belgium. Emphasis on fanwork in Japan and in the West. Report and student-made comics here
Manga, fancultuur en de bibliotheek (Manga, fan culture, and the library)
- 17/02/2011 Presentation at Strip Turnhout's study day on comics and graphic novels in the library. Report and presentation here